Starting a home photography business is steadily increasing in popularity with the stay at home mothers (and dads). If you possess a professional digital camera, have some basic business sense and have an artistic flair, starting a home-based photography business may be the answer for you.
While you may have chosen to start your own photography business because you appreciate taking photographs, there are still some business issues and choices that you should address before beginning. While this doesn’t cover each aspect of starting your business, it is a high starting point to make you go the correct way.
1. Register your business – No matter how small you think you are regardless you have to guarantee that your photography business is legally registered with your local and state. A few urban communities don’t require business registration at all if you utilize your particular name, while some need DBA announcements in the paper, charges and extensive paperwork. Check with your city and state necessities before you open your entryways for business.
2. Sales Tax – If you plan on taking even $.01 from a customer, you are legally required to gather sales tax on that sale on the off chance that you are located in a state that needs the sales tax to be collected. A few people trust that they don’t have to gather sales tax when they are portfolio building, charging just their cost or don’t make enough to try and claim it on their salary tax. Not genuine! It doesn’t make a difference how much or how little you make. The second you take even a penny from a customer, you ought to gather sales tax. Obtaining a sales tax it is a straightforward procedure and much of the time can be done online at your state department of income site; many circumstances bringing about an immediate issue of a sales tax id.
3. Bank Account – It’s important to separate out your finances from your business costs for accounting purposes when you are starting your home-based business. Opening a straightforward business account is for easy by merely getting your DBA frame or business permit into the bank. Many banks also have small business bank accounts explicitly composed for those just beginning. On the off chance that you figure you will want to accept Visas for payment, having a business checking is required, and your bank is a great place to start looking for Mastercard merchant accounts.
4. Business Insurance – Insurance for your business is essential mainly when you work out of your home. At the very least you ought to obtain liability insurance to cover yourself when customers are in your home, and you may wish to get an add-on to include your gear on the off chance that you are shooting on location.
5. Collateral Materials – How you introduce yourself to your customers is essential. This incorporates your logo, site, business cards, letterhead, and so on. You should discover a company who can plan a few materials that will give the best impression of your photography business. Avoid self-printing employments on your home PC and send it out to professional printing, for example, Vista Print.